1. Which teas help with PCOS?
When we talk about PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, it is a hormonal disorder in women that is run-of-the-mill which can be treated but not cured. It is a chronic disease in which teas might help in treatment and situation management as a holistic approach. A few teas that may help are-
– Spearmint Tea:
It is good to reduce stress, lower blood pressure and improve blood pressure and memory. It also helps in managing the symptoms of PCOS by lowering androgen levels.
– Cinnamon Tea:
It is an herbal tea that helps with menstrual cramps and is potent in improving insulin sensitivity(issue) and inflammation and removing excessive cholesterol from the blood vessels.
– Green Tea:
One of the most common teas used in stress management, body relaxation, and digestive problems. It also contains catechins(antioxidants that help in weight loss).
2. How do these teas help?
According to various studies, teas help to boost energy levels and, the immune system, and fight various problems like stress, inflammation, weight management, cancer, and heart diseases.
– Spearmint tea’s anti-androgenic properties hold promise in potentially diminishing the presence of male hormones (androgens), which are associated with PCOS symptoms. Moreover, it may yield a calming influence, potentially contributing to stress mitigation, a factor known to exacerbate PCOS symptoms.
– Cinnamon tea exhibits the potential to enhance insulin sensitivity and mitigate insulin resistance, a pivotal element in the management of PCOS. This is of significance due to the common association of insulin resistance with heightened insulin levels, which can exacerbate hormonal imbalances in PCOS.
– Green tea, abundant in catechins such as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), presents the potential to stimulate metabolism and enhance fat oxidation, thereby facilitating weight management. This indirect impact on weight control can be advantageous in addressing PCOS symptoms, given that excess weight often exacerbates the condition.
3. What Else Helps with PCOS:
According to Dr. Raj Vardhan, OSD Chairman, Noida International Institute of Medical Sciences and Hospital, Noida International University-
PCOS can be effectively managed through a multifaceted approach, including ensuring adequate sleep, stress management, regular exercise, a balanced diet, weight control, and hormone-controlling medications. Accurate diagnosis and consultation with a medical professional are crucial for tailored treatment.
The efficacy of herbal teas in addressing PCOS can vary among individuals. It is vital to seek guidance from a gynecologist who can offer personalized advice and treatment options based on your specific symptoms and requirements.
Emphasizing the importance of integrating herbal teas within a comprehensive treatment plan, it is essential to stress that they should be used in conjunction with medical advice and evidence-based therapies provided by healthcare experts. These teas should complement, not replace, established medical treatments for PCOS.