Hyderabad, 27th October,2023: Amazon.in announced that Telangana has shown remarkable growth witnessing 2x demand for televisions and an increase of more than 60% in 5G smartphones being sold during the festive period, making it one of the top-performing regions in the TV and Smartphone categories for Amazon India. Fueled by financial schemes such as no-cost EMI, the state is amongst the top regions that continue to see customers opting for premium smartphones and large-screen televisions.
Customers in Hyderabad also got a glimpse of Amazon Great Indian Festival 2023 at the Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad with the ‘Amazon Xperience Arena’ (AXA) on 26th October. This one-of-a-kind showcase gave media, influencers and customers a chance to experience their favourite brands and products while participating in fun engagements. Across the seven interactive zones at the event, customers competed to win exciting rewards and a chance to interact with their top brands across categories.
Commenting on the occasion, Ranjit Babu, Director, of Smartphones and Televisions, Amazon India said, “We’re thrilled to introduce the Amazon Xperience Arena to our customers in Hyderabad. The city of Nawabs is amongst the top-performing metros for the Smartphone and Television category. As the people of Telangana continue to shop for their favorite products during the festive season on India’s most preferred, trusted, and loved online marketplace, we’re humbled to see continued growth in the region. With the customer’s inclination increasing towards premium smartphones and televisions, we at Amazon India continue to provide attractive affordability options such as no-cost EMI, bank discounts, Apay rewards, cashback, and exchange offers, along with an array of the best-in-class products from all major brands.”
Here are some trends across Smartphones and television businesses observed on Amazon.in across Telangana and Hyderabad:
- 5G upgrades are on an upward trajectory: In Hyderabad, the share of 5G smartphones grew to over 65% in October 2023 during the festive period (vs 40%+ in 2022)
- Smartphone business experiencing significant growth: Double-digit growth has been witnessed across Hyderabad in the 10-20k smartphones driven by 4G to 5G upgrades
- Premiumization as a trend continues: The above 30k price segments have also seen double-digit growth due to affordability options such as No Cost EMI and Exchange offers
- Brand preference: During the ongoing Amazon Great Indian Festival 2023, top bestseller models across Hyderabad are iPhone 13, OnePlus Nord CE 3 lite 5G, iQOO Z7 Pro 5G, OnePlus 11R 5G, Samsung Galaxy M14 5G and Redmi 12 5G
- Telangana has set a new record: In 2023, Telangana emerged as the fastest-growing market on Amazon India in Q3 2023 and consistently ranked #1 with Hyderabad being amongst the top 3 cities for TV sales pan India
- Demand for large screens on the rise: Customers are showing a stronger preference for 4K TVs. There has been a massive growth in the demand for large screens mostly 55 inches & above. QLED and OLED TVs have seen an exceptional growth of over 2x YoY in both Telangana and Hyderabad in 2023. One in three customers benefited from zero-interest EMI options provided on Amazon
- Brand preference: Sony, Samsung, and LG are the most preferred brands among customers in the region
Telangana is a key market and has played a vital role in Amazon’s growth in India. Amazon’s largest corporate building in the world is in Hyderabad, India. The Hyderabad Campus is Amazon’s first owned office building outside of the U.S. Over the years, Amazon has invested in creating a robust physical infrastructure across India and in Telangana. Today, Amazon has six large fulfilment centres and one sortation centre covering more than 1.75 lakh sq. ft. of processing area along with nearly 70 Amazon-owned and Partner Delivery Stations and more than 1800 ‘I Have Space’ stores. Amazon has close to 50,000 sellers from the state selling everything from apparels, sports goods, hosiery items, consumables, and a lot more on Amazon.in. These investments in infrastructure are helping sellers from Telangana deliver to customers from across the country and are also creating employment opportunities across the state.
Recently, Amazon.in announced ‘Extra Happiness Days’ – Co-powered by realme narzo. Customers shall have an opportunity to buy the latest products across categories from top brands with great deals and offers. Amazon Great Indian Festival – ‘Extra Happiness Days’ brings special deals and offers from sellers on the widest selection of Smartphones, Televisions, Gaming components, Large Appliances, Audio, Health and personal care products, Gourmet food, Baby products, and more. Customers will get special offers on a wide range of products from realme, Nvidia, Haier, Pedigree, Ferrero, Hershey’s, Pampers, JBL, and Gillette among others.
Amazon.in, in collaboration with Digit, has also introduced the “Smartphone Genie” product finder (Experience is live only for mobile app users), a new interactive widget aimed to simplify the way consumers make informed smartphone purchase decisions, ensuring they buy the right smartphone tailored to their unique needs. With the Smartphone Genie, finding the perfect phone becomes a breeze, thanks to a streamlined four-step process.